Finaly, time to get dirty! 🙂
We removed all the grass and inside greenhouse and flipped the soil one shovel deep. Then grinded the soil to fine structure. Next was layer of fine sand, this will help to drainage the soil. Next layer of cow manure (we got it for free from friend. Thanks!), which we covered with another layer of fine soil and finally the layer of compost we managed to get of old pile of waste grass and other organic waste during years.
The moment we were waiting all year! Seeding! 🙂
I would like to thank all our friends and family, who helped with ideas, hands and moral support. You are the best and we will repay with free vegetables! 😀
In order to put a large 2500 litre tank in greenhouse, the pavement was done.
We were extremely lucky. In order to clean up construction site I was working at, I got enough basalt groats and fine sand to make bed for pavement plates (also used). Dirt was removed, the felt placed under groats and then compressed. Used concrete plates were layed on fine groat. Al gaps were filled with fine sand.
It was time to get large water tank. We had it in our house for heating oil storage. We didn’t need it any more, because we heat our house on solar energy and wood from our own forest. It was so tightly placed between the walls, there was only centimetre on each side, but we managed to get it out 🙂
Eva painted it black, so it will absorb more energy (heat) from sun. Eva did all the painting in greenhouse to!
The main idea of the tank is: Large black tank is full of water. In sunny days the temperature of water will rise and in cold days and nights it will radiate that energy inside greenhouse. Example: 2500 litres of water have 20°C during day. Next morning water have only 18°C. All the energy that was taken from water in tank is in greenhouse air now. That would be 21 MJ!
Well I have to make some measuring of actual temperature differences between evening and morning to get the right numbers.
I was so into work, that I forgot to take pictures step by step. Our next step was to make the connection between ground/foundations and walls. So we bought prestressed concrete planks (3.0 and 2.5 m long, 5.0 cm thick) and I cut them, so it fit between foundations. All the gaps were later sealed with elastic frost resistant cement glue.
Now it was possible to close the walls. South, west and east walls are closed up with same polycarbonate plates as roof. North wall is made of 20mm wood board + 100 mm glasswoll insulation + 20mm wood board. Well, I found local manufacturer of profiled wood boards. It’s much cheaper this way and money stays in local district.
After first wall was built, I did electricity box with consumption meter and LED lights (3x 10W reflectors), keeping in mind we might install solar panels later.
For covering we used Marlon ST Longlife triplewall 16mm thick polycarbonate plates with U-VALUE 2.4 W/m²K. Plates were size 2100 x 6000 mm, 4 pcs. Each plate was cut in two pieces. A 3500 mm long for south side and 2500mm long for north side. There was no waste of material at all 🙂
We used original mounting rails/profiles, because material will expand in summer and shrink in winter. I followed installation manual step by step.
After concrete in foundations has hardened, it was time to install wood frame holders. And after that building up the wood frame. We double coated the wood with silvanolin and protective wood coating. Thanks to friends that have helped!